Sunday 29 August 2010

"You Know Our Ways"

It's one of those nights when an odd episode takes your fancy, and this time it was The Wheel in Space just before bedtime. I hadn't watched it in a while so just popped on Episode Six. Things worthy of a mention along the way:
  • The Doctor suggesting turning on the sexual air supply - once heard, never forgotten! Right up there with his former regeneration's dalliance with the "fornicator"!
  • The invading Cyber Army doing a birdie dance towards the Wheel - possible the worst case of "spacewalk acting" since ... umm ... The Moonbase!
  • "You Know Our Ways" ... possibly one of the creepiest Cyberman responses in the series. Though I really liked the Earthshock Cybermen (and they were the ones that made me a proper fan rather than an enthusiastic viewer) the voices of the earlier ones were rather menacing, and extremely good here.
  • The introduction to The Evil of the Daleks repeat - if only this still survived in its entirety!
This story also produces a minor feeling of nostalgia in me as it was the last episode to be broadcast before I was born, so conceivably the last story I would never have been able to see off-air!